Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The parent in me is taking over.....scary stuff for kids? Week 2 ,3 &4

Here's a quick review of week 2, 3 and 4.
Done

Alright, a bit more eh! I have been having trouble with the time factor in all of this. It came at the busiest time of the year for us at Circ/Reserve. Its a lot of reading and learning for us
un-techies. But plowing through anyway!

Created blog and now hopefully a new post. http://test-dj.blogspot.com/

Someday I'll write about what its like to raise teens in the new tech era., and how it affects them and our lives. Ask any parent out there. If they have little ones, they have no clue yet! if they have teens and preteens its a nightmare. MSN, Chat Lines, world wide web, anything goes!
Now blogs, wiki's and a virtual world, games in - books out.... Hmmmm, will generations from now have any idea how to communicate or interact with with real live people? Should we be asking ourselves just what skills are we teaching new up and coming generations? Mabey we should look at real survival skills, ones without internet, phones, computers, virtual worlds etc.
I've spent the last 20 years trying to keep my kids safe, and with one click of a button....?????

As I wondered arount the world of wiki, the walking library in me, the ABC AND 123 person in my found it all very interesting. I could look at it ojectively( I thought)like using this for procedures for Circ/Reserve(and they want to throw out the paper versions!)...and then while I worked from home - I constantly had spyware cookies detected, virus detected, on an on it went all the time I was on....so, what happens with one really good virus?? All info lost. Anyone think we should think about this before forging on into new worlds overnight?

On to week 5!!!!

No comments: